c. 200,000 BC — A Hand Axe in the Clay
Long before there was a farm, a name, or a language to give either, someone worked a lump of flint into a hand axe on the slopes above what would become Shipham parish — one of the oldest traces of human presence in this part of Somerset, evidence that small bands of hunters were already moving through the combes below the Mendip escarpment hundreds of thousands of years before the hills looked anything like they do today. Even this earliest visitor was carrying stone from far off: no flint occurs naturally on Mendip's limestone, so every worked piece found here, from this axe onward, arrived already imported.
c. 35,000–25,000 BC — Cave Dwellers of the Mendips
In the limestone caves at Wookey Hole, a few miles along the same ridge that shelters Lillypool, people and animals alike sought shelter through the long cycles of an Ice Age climate. Hyena denned in the cave mouths; woolly rhinoceros and cave bear passed through passages later generations would explore for sport. This was less a farmed landscape than a hunting ground, shared uneasily between human bands and the great cold-adapted animals of the age.
c. 25,000–13,000 years ago — The Last Great Cold
At the height of the last Ice Age, the Mendip Hills lay just south of the ice sheets burying much of Britain, but conditions here were still arctic: bitter winds, ground frozen for much of the year, and low, hardy vegetation rather than the wooded combes familiar today. It is likely the ground now occupied by Lillypool Farm stood empty of people for long stretches, visited only by hunting parties following herds south in search of grazing.
c. 12,700 BC — The First Mendip People Return
As the ice retreated, people followed. The oldest human remains from Gough's Cave at Cheddar, only a few miles from Lillypool, date to around this time — among the earliest evidence of people re-settling Britain after the last glacial maximum, having followed the retreating ice north from continental Europe across the land bridge of Doggerland. The Cheddar Gorge caves have produced startling evidence from this period, including cut marks on human bone pointing to funerary cannibalism.
c. 8,000–4,000 BC — Flint-Knappers on Callow Hill
By the Mesolithic, small groups of hunter-gatherers were working flint on the high ground barely a mile from where Lillypool Farm now stands. Surveys have identified scatters of worked flint on Callow Hill and neighbouring Fry's Hill — the very hill named eight thousand years later in the 1298 boundary description that first put this farm's name on record — suggesting these knolls above the combes were favoured camping and working sites, chosen for the views they commanded over the routes game would have used through the valleys below.
c. 4,000 BC — A Leaf-Shaped Arrowhead, and No Flint for Miles
In May 2020, while digging in the garden at Lillypool, the farm's owners turned up a single flint arrowhead, together with a scatter of associated flint waste — the debris of someone sitting on this exact hillside, working stone into tools. Because no flint occurs naturally on Mendip's Carboniferous limestone, every scrap of it — whether carried in as a finished tool, part-worked 'roughout', or raw nodule — had to be brought from a chalk source many miles off, most likely the downs of Wiltshire or Dorset. A closer look at the piece itself, examined by a flint specialist, shows it was struck as a blade — a flake deliberately made twice as long as it is wide, a harder and more skilled technique used mainly in the Mesolithic and earlier Neolithic — then shaped by secondary retouch along several edges, including fine flaking on its inner, ventral face near the point, to thin it into a leaf-shaped arrowhead of the kind made across Britain from around 4,000 BC. It never quite got there: the piece has snapped at its distal end, most likely during that final thinning stage, and was seemingly discarded, unfinished, on this exact spot. It is the earliest evidence the farm holds of its own ground being worked, not just crossed — someone sitting here in the deep past, making something with their hands, that broke before it was done.
c. 3800 BC — The Land of the Summer People
A few miles north-west of Shipham, on the wet peat of the Somerset Levels, prehistoric engineers built one of the oldest known made roads in the world: a raised timber causeway of oak planks pegged onto crossed rails, tree-ring dated to the winter of 3807–3806 BC. The Sweet Track solved exactly the problem this landscape has always posed: rich, productive ground for much of the year — fish, wildfowl, reeds and summer grazing — that drowned for the rest of it. Communities on the surrounding higher ground, the Mendip escarpment among them, moved down to exploit the moor through the dry months and pulled back in winter. Lillypool sits in exactly that kind of place, a valley on the southern edge of the Mendip Hills, on the threshold between high ground and low — sharing the same ancient rhythm of seasonal movement that, centuries later, gave the whole region its name: Sumorsæte, 'the people of the summer land', first written down in 845 and the direct root of 'Somerset' itself.
Bronze Age, c. 1500 BC onward — Ore in the Hills
Somewhere between the Bronze Age and the early twentieth century, people first began digging lead from the Mendip Hills — an industry that would shape this landscape, on and off, for over three thousand years, eventually leaving quarries and old workings within sight of Lillypool Farm itself. Its Bronze Age origins are hard to date precisely, but the trade was old and significant enough that the Romans would later develop it into one of their most important mining operations in Britain.
c. AD 49 onward — Charterhouse and the Roman Lead Rush
Within a few years of the conquest of Britain, Roman engineers reached Charterhouse-on-Mendip, a few miles from Lillypool, and began one of the earliest and most intensive industrial operations anywhere in the new province. Mendip lead, carrying a useful trace of silver, was valuable enough that the army ran the mines at first, before handing over to civilian contractors. Charterhouse grew into a proper mining town, with smelting workshops and the only Roman amphitheatre in England built specifically for a mining settlement; refined lead and silver moved out along Roman roads toward the Fosse Way and, very likely, a small port near Cheddar. No villa is recorded at Shipham itself, but the farmland here sat within the everyday orbit of this busy industrial district for nearly four centuries.
c. AD 500 — The End of Roman Cheddar
A coin dated to around AD 500, found at Cheddar, marks close to the last archaeological trace of the Roman administrative and economic world in this part of Somerset. Roman authority in Britain had formally ended in 410, but the unwinding of Roman patterns of life — coinage, trade, organised mining — took longer to fade from the landscape around Mendip than the official date suggests. What followed was a less documented, more locally organised world, out of which the medieval parish of Shipham would eventually emerge.
8th–10th century — Clearings in the Wildwood
English-speaking settlers moved into this part of Somerset from around the mid-to-late 7th century, gradually establishing the pattern of farms, hamlets and field boundaries that still underlies the parish today. The place-names they left behind tell the story: Shipham — recorded later as Sipeham, 'the sheep homestead', from Old English scip and hām — along with Rowberrow and Star, are all Old English in origin, and a striking number of local field-names use Anglo-Saxon words for woodland: leah for a clearing, bearu for a grove, hyrst for a wooded hill, fyrhth for scrubby forest edge. It is very likely that the distinctive hybrid name later recorded for this farm — part Welsh, part Old English, meaning roughly 'the wood or clearing with a pool' — has its roots in exactly this process of Saxon settlement and naming.
AD 904 — The Wrington and Compton Bishop Charter
A West Saxon royal charter dated to 904 formalised landholding at Wrington and Compton Bishop, neighbouring parishes to the north and west, part of a wave of ninth- and tenth-century grants steadily consolidating estates across this part of Somerset into the hands of kings, nobles and the Church. Centuries later, this same charter would be dusted off as documentary evidence in the long effort to fix the exact boundary of the Royal Forest of Mendip where it ran along the edge of Shipham parish — the very perambulations that would eventually name Lillypool itself.
by 1066 — Aldwin's Sipeham, Before the Conquest
By the time the Normans arrived, this settlement already had a name of its own: Sipeham, 'the sheep homestead', a plain, working name for a plain, working place on the western Mendip plateau. It was held, in the years before 1066, by a Saxon thegn named Aldwin, about whom almost nothing else survives except that he lost everything in the upheaval that followed the Conquest. Sheep farming was evidently already the defining trade of the parish by this date, a pattern that would hold, on and off, for the best part of a thousand years. Lillypool, tucked at the wooded southern fringe of the parish, would have sat within Aldwin's holding — part of the everyday hill-farming and grazing land of Anglo-Saxon Sipeham.
1086 — Shipham in the Domesday Book
Twenty years after the Conquest, William the Conqueror's great survey recorded the manor in detail, under the fee of Roger de Courcelle: 'Robert holds of Roger, Sipeham. Aldwin held it before 1066... There is land for 6 ploughs.' The tenant, Robert de Auberville, was himself a king's sergeant, or forester — telling, given the manor's position on the edge of what would soon become the Royal Forest of Mendip. Domesday records 2 villagers and 7 smallholders working the land, with 1 cow and 36 sheep, 3 acres of meadow, 200 acres of pasture and 10 acres of underwood — coppiced woodland worked on rotation. The manor's recorded value had fallen from 40 shillings to 30 since the Conquest, perhaps an echo of the seaborne raid mounted on this coast in 1068 by exiled sons of King Harold. For a farm at the wooded southern edge of the parish, the picture is a modest, sheep-and-cattle hill farm, its rough pasture and pockets of coppice worked by a handful of families.
from 1154 — Brought Within the Royal Forest of Mendip
Under Henry II, the Royal Forest of Mendip was formally established, or greatly expanded, as a royal hunting preserve, drawing in Shipham alongside neighbouring Banwell, Blagdon, Burrington, Christon and Churchill. 'Forest' in the medieval sense did not mean unbroken woodland but a legal status: an area subject to Forest Law, restricting the clearing of woodland and the taking of deer, enforced by royal officials — verderers and foresters — who periodically toured the district. For roughly a century and a half, farming and clearance at what would become Lillypool were carried out in the shadow of this royal jurisdiction, a tension between the Crown's interest in deer and the tenants' interest in fields that runs right through the farm's medieval story.
1219–1279 — Marking the Forest Bounds
The Crown's hold over the Mendip woodland was never entirely secure, and Shipham's own boundary with the Royal Forest was walked and re-walked by royal commissioners more than once through the thirteenth century — in 1219, again in 1279, and finally at the great disafforestation of 1298–1300. The earliest survey, of neighbouring Wrington, already runs along part of the same line, described landmark by landmark: Rowberrow Bottom, the deep cleft called Waterscombe, Holloway Rocks, and the old miners' track recorded in 1279 as 'Holeweie'. Successive perambulations trace the boundary anticlockwise from Longbottom, up over Blackdown, and down along the parish's southern edge — precisely the ground on which Lillypool sits. This long sequence of boundary-walking finally produced the 1298 perambulation naming Lynleghespoule itself.
10 May 1298 — Lynleghespoule: The Farm's Name Enters History
On 10 May 1298, in the twenty-sixth year of Edward I, royal commissioners walked the boundary of what remained of the Royal Forest of Mendip, formally releasing large areas from Forest Law — among them the whole southern part of Shipham parish. Their perambulation, recorded in Latin and later printed by the historian Richard Cruttwell in 1791, traces the new boundary hill by hill, ridge by ridge: 'up the hill called Calewe [Callow Hill], to la Rudynge, and so by la Rudynge to Lynleghespoule; and thence through a certain valley to Waterscombe.' Lynleghespoule — a hybrid name, part Welsh, part Old English, meaning something like 'the wood or clearing with a pool' — is unmistakably this farm: the earliest surviving written record of Lillypool by name, not yet a farmhouse or a family, but a fixed point on a boundary important enough for the king's own surveyors to name. Every later name for this place — Lilypool, Lillypool — descends directly from this one Latin line.
1348–1349 — The Black Death Reaches Somerset
Plague arrived in Somerset in 1348, entering via Bristol and the port of Melcombe, and tore through both towns and countryside with devastating speed. As across England generally, something like a third to half of the population is thought to have died in this first outbreak alone, with further recurrences over the following decades compounding the losses. The immediate human cost around Shipham went unrecorded, but the pattern seen across Somerset — and reflected in the parish's own later land-use — was one of labour shortage, falling rents, and a decisive shift from arable farming toward sheep pasture, which needed far fewer hands to work it.
14th–17th century — The Reeve, the Hayward, and the Manor's Rules
Day-to-day, the manor of Shipham was run not by its distant lord but by a reeve, chosen from among the tenants to collect rents, enforce custom and answer for the manor's income, helped by a hayward responsible for the common land and its boundaries. The reeve's job came with an odd assortment of powers: peasants could be fined for using a hand-quern instead of the lord's mill, or for marrying outside the manor without licence. By the fourteenth century the manor's business was being transacted from a proper court house, leased at one point for a yearly rent of one gold noble, and Shipham's manorial court continued sitting for centuries — a Glebe Terrier of 1650 still records the rector's claim to 'the moiety or half en deale of all Lott Leade yearelie cominge and growinge within the said Manor'.
14th–15th century — Sheep on the Cleared Hills
In the century and a half after the Black Death, England's great medieval wool boom reshaped upland landscapes like Mendip more thoroughly than almost anything before it. Woodland clearance in Shipham parish continued even as the population fell, driven less by pressure for arable land than by the value of open grazing for sheep, now that the old Forest Law restrictions had lifted. It is easy to imagine the land around Lynleghespoule changing character through these generations: from managed wood-pasture, patrolled a century earlier by the king's foresters, toward the open sheep country that would come to define much of the Mendip plateau for the next four hundred years.
1463 — Shipham Manor Sold to Ransom a Hungerford
For almost three centuries after Domesday, the manor of Shipham descended through a chain of medieval lords: to the Barony of Curry Malet and the Malherbe family by 1166 (who in 1309 secured a royal grant for a weekly market and annual fair at Shipham), and by the early fifteenth century to Lord Botreaux. In 1463 Botreaux's daughter and heir, Margaret, by then married to Lord Hungerford, was forced to sell the manors of Shipham and Cheddar, together with the right to appoint Shipham's rector, for £280 — raising money to help ransom her son, Sir Robert Hungerford, taken prisoner years earlier fighting to hold the English Duchy of Aquitaine. The buyer was the Bishop of Bath and Wells, and the manor passed into the hands of the Dean and Chapter of Wells, who would hold it for the next five hundred years — family misfortune on the far side of France that, by an unlikely chain of events, put the cathedral in charge of the fields around Lillypool.
1539 — Dissolution — But Not Here
In 1539 Glastonbury Abbey, once the greatest religious house in this part of Somerset, was dissolved on Henry VIII's orders; its last abbot, Richard Whiting, was executed on Glastonbury Tor along with two of his monks. It is tempting to assume this cataclysm swept every corner of the Mendips — but Shipham's manor had, since 1463, belonged to the Dean and Chapter of Wells Cathedral, and Wells, as a secular chapter of canons rather than a monastery, was not a target of the Dissolution. The disruption to Wells's — and so Shipham's — landholding was still a century away, and would come not from the Reformation but from civil war.
from 1598 — Lead Mining Regulated — And Booming
Mendip lead mining, quiet through much of the later medieval period, revived strongly in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries — the same years in which calamine, the zinc ore that would come to define Shipham more than lead ever did, was first being dug nearby in serious quantity. From 1598 the Wells Chapter Acts set out formal rules for the industry, and by 1650 the scale of activity had grown enough that one contemporary record notes a hundred tons of lead ore extracted from Woodborough Green, just over the parish boundary in Winscombe, in a single twelve-week period. Mining and quarrying of this kind, on and off, would remain part of the working landscape around Lillypool for the next three centuries, eventually leaving quarries and lime-kiln remains within sight of the farm itself.
1642–1651 — Civil War and the Clubmen
Somerset was fought over hard in the Civil War, predominantly under Royalist control in its early years, with sieges at Taunton and Bridgwater and skirmishing across the county. No specific action is recorded on Mendip's own doorstep, but in 1645 the wider region became a stage for something more grassroots: the Clubmen uprising, in which war-weary Somerset villagers formed armed bands to defend their communities against plundering soldiers of both sides, going so far as to hunt down and kill Royalist fugitives after the nearby Battle of Langport before General Fairfax negotiated their stand-down. It is entirely plausible that Mendip communities, Shipham among them, took some part in or were touched by this episode of ordinary people taking up arms against the war itself.
1649–1660 — The Chapter Estates Seized — And Restored
It was the Commonwealth period, not the Reformation a century earlier, that brought the real disruption to Wells Cathedral's landholding, Shipham manor included. With the abolition of cathedral chapters, the Dean and Chapter of Wells lost their estates, confiscated and sold off by Parliament. The interruption lasted until the Restoration of 1660, when Charles II's return saw cathedral chapters re-established and their old estates, including Shipham, restored to Wells — a reminder that this land's centuries-old connection to the cathedral was not unbroken.
1669 — Lead Mining at Its Mendip Peak
By 1669, Mendip lead mining had reached the height of its productivity, prompting new mining laws to manage a trade that was, by this point, a mainstay of the local economy alongside farming. The old customary rules governing the industry — a miner's right to stake a claim, the penalties for stealing ore, the collection points where lead reeves gathered their dues — were the product of centuries of custom, formally written down and periodically updated as the trade grew too large and too valuable to leave to informal agreement alone.
1685 — Sedgemoor and Its Aftermath
On 6 July 1685, some fifteen miles from Shipham on the Somerset Levels near Westonzoyland, the Duke of Monmouth's rebel army was crushed at the Battle of Sedgemoor — the last pitched battle fought on English soil. In the brutal reprisals that followed, known as the Bloody Assizes, Judge Jeffreys handed down executions and transportations across Somerset's market towns, Wells among them. No record places fugitives or rumour of the rebellion directly at Lillypool's gate, but geographically it is entirely plausible that word of the defeat, and perhaps scattered men fleeing the rout, passed through or near Mendip villages in the chaotic aftermath.
18th century, peaking 1779 — A Hundred Mines in the Streets and Gardens
While lead had been dug from the Mendip plateau for centuries, Shipham and neighbouring Rowberrow built their fortune on a different, more locally distinctive ore: calamine, the zinc ore Bristol's brass foundries prized above any other in England. Calamine extraction had reached the parish by the late sixteenth century, but the eighteenth century transformed Shipham completely. Any miner who found a vein could apply to the Dean and Chapter of Wells — lords of the manor since 1463 — for a licence to dig on the common land; by 1779 the two villages were, in effect, one continuous mining settlement, with around 700 people out of a combined population of under a thousand working the mines. The antiquarian John Collinson, writing in 1792, counted upwards of a hundred pits sunk 'in the streets, in the yards and in the very houses of Shipham', and the manorial court's own records from the 1780s and 90s show a flurry of cases against miners for illicit building on the waste. Cottages went up directly on top of claims, and the open common shrank to the tangle of narrow lanes — Hindpits, Folly Lane, Barnpool among them — that still give Shipham its unusually cramped street plan today. At Barnpool stood a calamine barn, where ore was washed before being roasted and carted to Bristol's brass wireworks: seven pounds of calcined calamine, melted with five pounds of copper, produced brass. Wealth from the mines did not translate into comfort — the reformer Hannah More, running a charity school here through the 1790s, described the mining community as 'savage and depraved', a judgement that says as much about her own class prejudice as the genuinely hard lives the miners led. One roasting oven survives behind Shipham's Court House, its twenty-foot chimney long since fallen — the only structure of its kind still standing anywhere on Mendip.
1795–1797 — The Open Hill Is Enclosed
For as long as anyone could remember, the high Mendip plateau had been open common: unenclosed sheep-walk shared across parish boundaries, farmed under custom rather than title deed. That changed in the 1790s, when Parliament enclosed the Mendip hill lands by Act — the specific award for Shipham and Winscombe parishes dated 1797. Commissioners divided some 25,500 acres of former common across the plateau, requiring clearing rock, repeated ploughing, heavy liming of the thin soil, and roughly 1,650 miles of new stone walling and hedging to mark out the new, private fields. For Lillypool, sitting at the wooded southern edge of this newly divided upland, enclosure meant the definitive end of centuries of common grazing rights and the beginning of the neat, walled field pattern still recognisable in the landscape today.
early 19th century — New Fields, New Crops, New Roads
The first decades of farming on the newly enclosed Mendip plateau were not always kind ones: early tenants over-cropped the thin new fields with successive grain, oats especially, before practice shifted toward a more sustainable mix of grazing and root crops — potatoes were being grown on a tenth or more of cropped land in neighbouring parishes by the early 1800s. At the same time, a growing network of turnpike roads was improving access from Bristol and Bath through Shipham and Axbridge toward Wells and Cheddar. Shipham's own tollhouse, part of the Wedmore Turnpike Trust, was in use from about 1827 until 1874, taking tolls from farm carts, drovers and the first tourists heading for the scenery of Cheddar Gorge and Wookey Hole — early stirrings of an industry that would one day matter as much to this corner of Somerset as farming or mining ever had.
1837–1901 — Six Households, Six Decades
The 1839 Tithe Apportionment gives Lillypool its first documented names: the Reverend Charles Tynte Simmons, rector at St Leonard's from 1825, held the house, the future cafe site and land along Longbottom, while Edward Tennant held the farm fields themselves. From there the census returns pick up the story every ten years, and the cast changes almost every time: Charles Vowles and family sharing the farmhouse with Luke and Anne Boyce in 1841; Thomas and Anna Lane by 1851; Samuel and Sarah Heal, with a boarder, by 1861; Lot and Anne Stephens with a blended household in 1871; John and Elizabeth Fowler by 1901. Six decades, six households: a working farm changing hands roughly once a generation, its fields ploughed, hayed, grazed and hedged in an unbroken sequence by families who mostly left no other trace in the record beyond these ten-yearly snapshots.
1911–2012 — The Foords, the Coopers, and a Changing Century
The 1911 census records James Foord, 36, and Gertrude, 33, farming at Lillypool with their eight-year-old son Gilbert — a tenancy that would prove to be the start of a connection to the farm lasting the best part of a century. Gilbert Foord grew up, took on the farm and the cafe together with his wife, Infanta Ellatine Euphemia Sawtell, and their daughters, Margaret Lukins and Sheila Sweeting, carried the family's connection into the second half of the twentieth century — a period, like the rest of British farming, of steadily fewer hands and steadily more machinery, as horses gave way to tractors and milk quotas and mechanised haymaking reshaped a working pattern barely changed since Domesday. In 1984 Christopher David George Cooper took ownership, ending the long Foord association. Anthony and Heather Cox took on the farm in 2001, bringing a family connection to local cider-making, with A David & Co Ltd also associated with the cafe; by 2012 the property had passed again, to R S Project Enterprises Ltd — continuing to change hands as a single working farm right up to the present. Within a decade it would change purpose entirely.
1919 — Lime Kilns Beside the Farm
In 1919, lime works were established nearby by F. C. Tiarks, a banker who owned the property, producing high-quality lime and employing a number of local men. Ordnance Survey mapping from this period shows quarries close to both Lillypool Farm and neighbouring Tynings Farm, alongside the forerunners of quarries still worked on Shipham Hill today. The works ran for around fifty years before the rock was worked out and the kilns closed — one more chapter in Mendip's long, on-and-off relationship with quarrying and mineral extraction, this time playing out within sight of the farmhouse itself.
2020–present — A Patch Wilder: Rewilding Lillypool
In 2020 Lillypool changed purpose again, becoming a conservation project rather than a conventional working farm, when A Patch Wilder's founders bought the small farm, setting out, in their own words, to 'benefit wildlife and connect people with the environment around them.' The approach blends active habitat management — planting, felling, scything and coppicing to mimic the natural disturbance a truly wild landscape would create — with long-term species monitoring and open public access, on the belief that farming and wildlife need not be mutually exclusive. Around five acres of ash woodland, hit hard by ash dieback, are being gradually replanted with a more diverse native mix, part of more than 1,600 trees planted so far with the Woodland Trust and Extinction Rebellion. Four ponds, funded by Natural England and the Farming and Wildlife Advisory Group, sit alongside a traditional cider orchard and species-rich limestone grassland managed with a late hay cut and yellow rattle seeding. A continuous birdsong-recognition system, BirdNetPi, runs alongside more traditional survey work — turning more than eight centuries of farming, forestry and mining history full circle, back toward the wooded, grazed, wildlife-rich hillside first glimpsed in Domesday.